'When Myrtle Allen opened the doors of her home at Ballymaloe in 1964 and invited guests to ‘dine in a country house’, she hoped she would provide those who came with a reason to return and indeed she did. She also created a thriving rural business that has had influence far beyond its location in Co. Cork. A country house hotel, renowned for its delicious farm-to-table food long before the term was invented. Her endeavours also encouraged the founding of the Ballymaloe Cookery School by Darina and her brother Rory O'Connell in 1983.
Sadly Myrtle passed away in June 2018 so we wanted to pay tribute to her legacy with a cookery course showcasing her classic recipes. It will celebrate what is most wonderful about the food that Myrtle created at Ballymaloe, using the very best produce that East Cork and Ireland has to offer. You'll have the opportunity to learn some of Myrtle's best loved recipes,in both demonstration and hands-on sessions. We'll enjoy dinner together at Ballymaloe House and eminent food historian, Regina Sexton will give a short talk on Myrtle Allen’s legacy.'
What you’ll learn about
- A repetoire of Myrtle Allen Ballymaloe Classics
- Darina and Rory will share their memories of their beloved mentor
- The History of Ballymaloe
- Three cookery demonstration, showing how classic Ballymaloe dishes are prepared from scratch, with overhead mirrors and two monitors showing close-up handiwork. Tutors share a wealth of knowledge through their expert tips and techniques. Students can ask lots of questions and will have the opportunity to taste the dishes prepared at the end of the sessions.
- Two hands-on sessions with one tutor with every six participants
- Dinner at Ballymaloe House on Monday evening with Allen Family members.
- A guided tour of our organic farm, gardens, micro-dairy, greenhouses and urban garden to see the source of much of the produce.
- Breakfast each weekday morning with freshly baked breads from our Bread Shed bakery, homemade butter and preserves as well as breakfast compotes, cereals and Jersey milk and youghurt from our organic herd.
Good to know
- A pack of the recipes will be provided for your ongoing reference
- Our Ballymaloe Cookery School Shop will be open for further inspiration: cookery books, equipment and select ingredients
Please note gallery is a selection of images but may not represent actual dishes featured on the course.