This course draws on our 30 years teaching experience to provide a well-rounded foundation for anyone who wants to learn how to cook. From the basics to more adventurous dishes, you’ll leave with a repertoire of delicious and reliable dishes you can cook with confidence, amazed by what you can learn in just one week. This course is designed to show how easy it is to cook well and bring the joy back to cooking from scratch, whether for yourself, family or friends.
Feedback from previous students on this course.
- “I have taken cooking classes around the world but none equal the experience at Ballymaloe Cookery School. It’s excellent.”
- “Honestly, it was a magical week and I could not fault it. We were made to feel so welcome and taught with such patience and generosity of spirit.”
- “I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Last weekend I put my new skills into action and completed a three course meal for eight adults, a first for me. I have a new love of cooking and will definitely be back!”
- “A brilliant experience that I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in cooking and getting away somewhere unique and peaceful for a week. The gardens and farm so impressive and beautiful at this time of year and I met some great people, lecturers, staff and fellow students.”
What you’ll learn
• Great recipes featuring delicious fish, meat and vegetarian dishes; starters, soups, salads, dressings, mains, stews and puddings. You’ll be exploring a wide variety of flavours, from the simple and traditional to dishes sourced from around the world and learn how to adapt recipes for even greater variety
• How to bake bread, make shortcrust pastry and cook pasta
• How to prep vegetables while making the most out of every scrap
• A variety of essential techniques you’ll use again and again
• Tips for forward planning and saving time
• A tour of the organic farm, gardens, dairy and greenhouses, which provide much of the seasonal produce you’ll be cooking with
• Six demonstration sessions, showing how dishes are prepared from scratch, with overhead mirrors and two monitors showing close-up handiwork. Teachers share a wealth of knowledge through their expert tips and techniques. Students can ask questions and have the opportunity to taste the dishes prepared at the end of the sessions
• Four practical, hands-on sessions in the kitchens, where you can cook 2-4 dishes from each demonstration. With a high teacher to student ratio of 1:6, there’s plenty of support and guidance while you master the recipes, learn to make the most of your ingredients and gain a deeper learning experience. Let your teacher know if there are specific techniques you’d like to master, as seen in the demonstrations
Good to know
• Lunch included; eat alongside fellow students, our teachers and gardeners
• Often you’re able to watch the cows being milked, the sourdough loaves being made and gather produce for the days cooking with the gardeners
• A pack of the recipes will be provided for your ongoing reference
• Our Shop will be open for further inspiration: cookery books, equipment and select ingredients
• Accommodation available within our grounds and close by
• There’s plenty to do and explore in the area. These summer courses are a fabulous way to spend your summer in the countryside. Learn during the days, eat well and then soak up the surroundings in the evenings
• We run this course several times a year, varying the recipes in synch with the seasons
Please note gallery is a selection of images but may not represent actual dishes featured on the course.