Scared to tackle sushi yourself? This is the course for you!
Join our 12 Week Certificate students and allow Shermin Mustafa to demystify this jewel of Japanese cuisine. She will use fresh fish straight from the boats in Ballycotton Bay to create sublime sushi and sashimi.
Whilst so many of us love eating sushi, making it for the first time can be intimidating particularly as it’s common-knowledge that sushi chefs train for years to master the knife skills and presentation needed to create world-class sushi.
This course takes the mystery… and stress… out of making sushi, Shermin will start by explaining the ingredients, basic equipment and techniques required, giving you the confidence to serve it to guests at home or in a restaurant.
Sushi gets the ‘thumbs up’ from cardiologists and nutritionists – not least because it is based mainly on fresh fish, seaweed, vegetables and rice, but it is also low in saturated fat, high in vital omega 3s and rich in vitamins and minerals.
Shermin is a beautiful cook and fluent teacher who has taught at the Cookery School for many years. During this half-day course she will show you how to make at least eight different types of sushi as well as sashimi.
Students will have the opportunity to taste all the dishes prepared during the demonstration.
What you’ll learn about
- Watch as we show you an amazing selection sushi.
- How to make the perfect rice for your sushi.
- The importance of sourcing the best ingredients for the best results
- Tips for forward planning and saving time
- How to make your food look as good as it tastes
- A Light Lunch is included before the Cookery Demonstration.
- A demonstration session, showing how dishes are prepared from scratch, with overhead mirrors and two monitors showing close-up handiwork. Teachers share a wealth of knowledge through their expert tips and techniques. Students can ask questions and have the opportunity to taste the dishes prepared at the end of the sessions
Good to know
- A pack of the recipes will be provided for your ongoing reference
- Our Shop will be open for further inspiration: cookery books, equipment and select ingredients
- We run this course several times a year.
Terms and Conditions
All bookings for a course or event at Ballymaloe Cookery School are subject to our standard Terms and Conditions.