Afternoon tea conjures up tea at the Ritz – elegance, sophistication and dainty treats, beautifully arranged on finest bone china. Be it in a café, a friend’s kitchen, a five star hotel or in the garden, afternoon tea is a wonderful way to entertain.
We will share with you our favourite sweet treats to serve at tea-time, be it a casual cuppa with family in the kitchen and steaming plate of hotcakes; a batch of cupcakes – lemon meringue or coffee buttercream perhaps – to take to a friend’s house; or an elegant afternoon tea on the lawn in the summer sun, replete with a chest of sandwiches, macaroons, delicate madeleines, a light airy sponge cake with raspberries, cream and rose petals...
Nowadays tea is far more than just a cup of Barry’s. Traditional Indian black teas, like Earl Grey, Darjeeling and Lapsang, green Japanese Matcha and Chinese white tea are finding ever-greater popularity. We love our tea in Ireland – we drink more of it than anyone in the world, except the Chinese! In fact it’s officially the new coffee: Starbucks have recently opened the first Tea Bar in New York, single estate teas are a big buzz, and there is a growing interest in quality and provenance and pairing special teas with particular foods.
For those who want to boost their knowledge, we will cover the history of tea, how different teas are produced, how to blend and brew each to perfection, and how to use different teas as a flavouring in other recipes.
This course is a great introduction for those with dreams of starting a café, hosting pop up tea parties, catering, and everyone who loves a good cup of tea and slice of cake.
Students will have the opportunity to taste everything prepared during the course... and there’ll be plenty of tea to try too!
“I thoroughly enjoyed the course and learned a lot, I’ve used some of the recipes already and really enjoyed them. I also met lots of lovely people that afternoon and I’m now looking forward to attending another course later this year.” Student feedback
What you’ll learn about
- Watch as we show you an amazing selection of cakes, biscuits and sandwiches to go on your Afternoon Tea table.
- How to make the perfect cup of tea.
- The importance of sourcing the best ingredients for the best results
- Tips for forward planning and saving time
- How to make your food look as good as it tastes
- A Light Lunch is included before the Cookery Demonstration.
- A demonstration session, showing how dishes are prepared from scratch, with overhead mirrors and two monitors showing close-up handiwork. Teachers share a wealth of knowledge through their expert tips and techniques. Students can ask questions and have the opportunity to taste the dishes prepared at the end of the sessions
Good to know
• A pack of the recipes will be provided for your ongoing reference
• Our Shop will be open for further inspiration: cookery books, equipment and select ingredients
• We run this course several times a year.
Terms and Conditions
All bookings for a course or event at Ballymaloe Cookery School are subject to our standard Terms and Conditions.