Rachel Allen have presented many successful television series and produced many best-selling cookbooks, many on the eternal theme of cooking for your friends and family.
To begin with you will Watch and learn as Rachel demonstrates her favourite recipes, ideal for home cooking.
Then it’s your turn in the kitchen. Two hands-on sessions with one tutor for every six students ensures an unusually high level of personal attention. So you will also learn important tips and tricks to get the best out of the recipes and your ingredients.
Many of Rachel’s recipes use seasonal ingredients from the school’s organic farm and gardens. We will share a selection of fish, meat and vegetarian options for delicious appetisers, starters, mains and puddings.
And don’t worry, you will be well fed! As well as having the opportunity to taste all the dishes prepared after each demonstration, you’ll enjoy a delicious lunch every day.
By the end of the course you will have mastered a whole new repertoire of recipes and techniques. You’ll return home confident to entertain with panache and just chill out, sip some bubbles and enjoy your guests.
What you’ll learn
- Great recipes featuring delicious fish, meat and vegetarian dishes; starters, soups, salads, dressings, mains, stews and puddings.
- A variety of essential techniques you’ll use again and again
- Tips for forward planning and saving time
- A tour of the organic farm, gardens, dairy and greenhouses, which provide much of the seasonal produce you’ll be cooking with
- Three demonstration sessions, showing how dishes are prepared from scratch, with overhead mirrors and two monitors showing close-up handiwork. Rachel will share a wealth of knowledge through her expert tips and techniques. Students can ask questions and have the opportunity to taste the dishes prepared at the end of the sessions
- Two practical, hands-on sessions in the kitchens, where you can cook 2-4 dishes from each demonstration. With a high teacher to student ratio of 1:6, there’s plenty of support and guidance while you master the recipes, learn to make the most of your ingredients and gain a deeper learning experience. Let your teacher know if there are specific techniques you’d like to master, as seen in the demonstrations
Good to know
- Breakfast and lunch included; eat alongside fellow students, our teachers and gardeners
- Often you’re able to watch the cows being milked, the sourdough loaves being made and gather produce for the days cooking with the gardeners
- A pack of the recipes will be provided for your ongoing reference
- Our Shop will be open for further inspiration: cookery books, equipment and select ingredients
- Accommodation available within our grounds and close by
- There’s plenty to do and explore in the area. These summer courses are a fabulous way to spend your summer in the countryside. Learn during the days, eat well and then soak up the surroundings in the evenings
- We run this course several times a year, varying the recipes in synch with the seasons
Please note gallery is a selection of images but may not represent actual dishes featured on the course.